Software developers use their programming skills to create new software and update existing applications. If you’re a creative thinker who enjoys problem solving, a career as a software developer could be a good fit.
Software is essential in nearly every industry, which means you can pursue a career in a field that aligns with your passions and interests. Learn more about this rapidly growing career, along with ten tips to help you get a job as a software developer.
What does a software developer do?
Software developers are the creative force behind computer programs of all kinds. They design and write the code used to build everything from operating systems to apps to video games.
In this role, you may be involved with every stage of the software development process, from figuring out what users need and how they’ll use the software to rolling out a completed application. You may sometimes work with computer programmers, although many developers complete all the coding themselves.
Day-to-day tasks might include:
- Analyzing the needs of software users
- Designing, testing, and building software programs to meet user needs
- Creating models and diagrams that outline the code needed to create software and applications
- Performing maintenance and testing to keep software functioning
- Documenting the process to provide the information needed for upgrades and maintenance